Another awesome Masters weekend has come and gone. Check out Ball Marks’ full Sunday recap for the best coverage out there. Now before the Masters, as I tend to do, I was focused on the betting aspect. I honestly didn’t have a great feel on any golfers, so I decided to throw down a few bucks on two futures with good odds and just enjoy the coverage. So going off that indescribable gambler’s gut feeling (which is normally always wrong) I went with these two golfers:
Now I don’t know how closely you followed the tournament, but to put it plainly, these were good bets. Going into Sunday I was able to hedge these by putting money on Rory, Rahm, and the field. I hedged so that worst case I would make $95. That made for an all time enjoyable Masters Sunday. If Spieth pulled out the upset I would have made $100 on my bet on the field, and Rickie or Patty Reed would have both paid out those futures.
Now this perfect hedging situation and hitting the huge Patrick Reed future made me think about something: am I the best futures better of all time? Let’s look at a few examples:
- These Masters futures is the first prime example. To have the set up so if any player in the field wins the tournament I NET 95 dollars is preposterous. Patrick Reed was a money future bet and the hedge was set up perfectly. Probably my finest work.
- This year’s NCAA tournament was another great performance. I bet Villanova and Kansas futures before the tournament and took a Loyola future before the Sweet 16 which set me up for the perfect Elite Eight and Final Four hedges. Really magical stuff.
- The NCAA football playoff was an alright performance but still set up a nice result. I took UGA before the playoff at a pretty good number as the least favorite. So when they were matched up with Bama I was able to hedge to a middle number. Not too tough of a future with only four teams, but anytime money is made is a massive success in my book.
- Current NBA future: I took out the Rockets and Celtics to win the championship at the beginning of the year. If they both make their conference finals that will make for a perfect hedge situation for those series winners. Even better scenario is if one of them makes the Finals and I can hedge that with their opponent. Best case is they’re both in the Finals and I can recapture that Masters Sunday feeling.
- Current MLB future: I got the Mets to win the NL East at a really good number and I know it’s way way way too early, but they look better than the Nationals to start the season. If the Mets can stay healthy (always a struggle) I think they are gonna take the division home.
- Current Champions League future: I took Liverpool to win the Champions League at a shockingly large number. They were barely even favored to make it out of the group stage and they are now up 3-0 against Man City through the first leg of the Round of 8. Sealing the deal against Man City and winning the whole thing will be tough, but they are playing as well as any club on the planet right now.
But enough about me, I’m sure you’re awesome too. Probably just not as modest as I am. I am the MOST modest-est.
So from now on I’ll share my futures with you kind people and hopefully we can all get rich together.